Technical Director – Façades – £90,000
Mercury Hampton is working with a client who can deliver design, manufacture, and installation services for the complete building envelope, including aftercare and maintenance.
Based near Cambridge they are a long-established client and have carried out multiple projects across the UK. Predominantly working in the commercial, residential, healthcare and education sectors.
Your role will consist of: –
- As a member of the SMT, support the Managing Director with corporate governance and strategic management in all aspects of improving the business.
- Network and build rapport with industry decision-makers (architects, consultants & main contractors) to become the key contact to assist with technical queries and provide expert opinion and knowledge.
- Provide support and guidance to the Estimating team by assisting them with technical design queries. Ensure they have suitable design drawings and concepts to submit with larger tenders.
- Attend tender interviews, to ensure you win contracts in line with financial targets.
- Attend further tender-related meetings on technical issues as required.
- Assist in Estimating and providing technical input at handover meetings.
- In order to ensure continuity from tender stage through to design independence, attend initial Design Team meetings with client representatives, providing technical input and advice. Stay with this process until it can be seamlessly handed over to the appointed Design Manager and be available to attend further meetings on technical issues as reasonably required.
- When required take a lead role in a PCSA coordination process, providing design input and technical advice to all parties. Assist in building the PCSA programme with the Construction Team, monitor and issue appropriate progress reports to the client reps. During the life of the PCSA contract develop and build the full Technical Data Register (TDR) input the design elements into the Master Programme. With the end goal to win the final order, have a full TDR, design Drawings and full scope and programme information ready for incorporation into a building contract.
- Provide senior input into internal design briefing sessions and Project Design reviews
- Review drawings, red penning etc in a timely manner that aligns with the Project programme before they are issued.
- Provide full senior technical support and advisory for the Design Office, including leading on complex design issues.
- Provide technical support for Design Managers and Designers for questions on Fire regulations, Building Safety regulations etc
- Network with the external marketplace to identify and review any industry Design innovations (new or enhanced products etc)
- Proactively support the broader Group drive towards a design ‘Centre of Excellence’ approach, providing senior mentorship and guidance to the initiative and supporting the success of Collaboration projects
- Ensure CDM is implemented in the design and the designs comply with current regulations and standards
- Implement Measures within the Construction and Design Teams to submit technical data for approval on a project-by-project basis.
- Consideration of other strategies to reduce any associated costs, for example, lean design, standardisation, reduce mistakes, structural engineering
- Ensure that the CWCT, Product Information, NHBC, Building Regulations, BS EN Standards are kept up to date and accessible to all, request new / updates as is required.
- Develop a programme to introduce and maintain BIM across the entire business where relevant to our works.
- Adhere to the company Health & Safety policy and ensure full compliance with Health & Safety standards and regulations
- 15+ years’ experience of advanced level technical facades design work
- Master’s degree in design engineering/Facades/Architecture/CWCT Studies or overseas equivalent
- Connected and active in the UK facades market with existing relationships and contacts
- Proven technical coaching and mentoring skills
- Previous experience in a similar position from within the industry
SPECIFIC SKILLS & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- High-level presentation and tender leading experience
- A passion for innovative design
- The ability to prioritise work, within competing deadlines and use initiative in a variety of situations.
- Proactive with an eye for problem-solving and continuous improvement
GET IN TOUCH
If you’re successful in getting the job, we guarantee that you are going to love it. Why? For every 100 people that we recruit, 96 are still with their company 12-months later, and 94 are still there 2-years later. That speaks for itself.
To apply, click on the apply button below, contact Will Jordan directly, or call the Mercury Hampton office on 01925 937 311. We aim to respond to all successful applicants within seven working days. Either way, we may store your information on record but will always seek your approval via a GDPR email. This will enable us to share future career opportunities.