Reports to: Reports to the Group Operations Director
Mercury Hampton is exclusively retained on this vacancy.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Operations Manager to join a busy medical device manufacturer to lead all aspects of operations at their site in Texas.
Reporting to the Group Operations Director, of a 24/5 manufacturing facility which manufacturers several critical products which service the medical device industry.
As the Operations manager, you’ll be fully responsible for all operational duties of a $30 million turnover manufacturing plant that employs over 130 employees across 3 shifts (24/5).
This role will require a strong, resilient leader to collaborate with all departments of the company to implement and drive change. You’ll need to be an energetic person who can manage large teams across shifts & be an advocate for change, lean and continuous improvement.
It is also expected that you’ll help drive key performance metrics such as Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost, People and Environment that supports the sites overall business strategy.
You will also be responsible for:
- Manage the daily operation of a fast-paced, high volume manufacturing plant. The different departments that will fall within the remit are:
- Warehouse and logistics
- Tool room
- Create a culture within the business that will drive continuous improvement through empowerment, coaching and development of the team.
- Drive lean manufacturing and efficiencies through proven Six Sigma and lean ideology. This should result in lower cost per unit, better controlled inventory and waste reduction across the facility.
- Work collaboratively with other functions e.g., Category leads, RAQA and Procurement.
- Set strategies and goals for operational improvements.
- Uphold organisation policies and standards, ensuring legislative regulations are followed.
- Fully understand the P&L and have the ability to act upon the data provided.
- Prioritise Health and Safety in all decision making.
Skills and experience required:
- 5-10 years’ experience working within an operational leadership role in a busy manufacturing environment such as packaging, automotive, etc.
- Strong understanding of Lean Manufacturing and other continuous improvement/ problem solving methodologies such as 8D, six sigma, 5S, Kaizen, value stream mapping, etc.
- A proven track record in change management and success planning to highlight the future leaders within the company.
- Experience / Understanding of Injection Moulding manufacturing – Highley Desirable.
- Ability to manage budgets and have a strong financial acumen.
- Health and Safety regulations and Legislation Managing in a manufacturing environment.
- Good understanding of HR policies and procedures.
- Strong understanding of manufacturing environment.
- Experience within a similar size org at a middle/senior managerial level.
- Experienced in facilitating and coordinating manufacturing /logistics operations.
- Financially astute, ability to create and manage budgets.
- Strong Project management experience.
- Ability to work at all levels.
- Strong people development skills – Essential.
- Ability to lead not just manage.
- Good understanding of quality systems and processes.
- Ability to form good working relationships at all levels within the organisation and with the customer.
- Strong ability to ‘coach’ all levels for improved performance.
To be successful as the next Operations Manager you’ll need to be results driven, motivational, organised, analytical and someone who works off using their own initiative and can build relationships at all levels. Other key personal traits which are important for this role include:
- Be pragmatic in their approach to management – balancing controls and business needs with rules, systems and standards.
- Willingness to continue to learn and develop.
- Strong Leader has a positive presence and impact.
- Must be an excellent team player, ensures communication is open, direct and clear.
- Flexible and supportive of colleagues.
- Able to self-manage and manage team with minimal senior support.
- Self-motivating – Able to interpret policy and develop processes and deliverables.
- Ability to anticipate future challenges and explore and exploit opportunities.
- Champions continuous improvement.
- Develop strategy and create structures and systems to check progress against said strategy.
- Creates a climate in which respect, trust and mutual support are an integral part of the operations.
- Ability to ‘get people engaged’.
- Strong continuous improvement ethos.
- Possess drive and energy.
- Demonstrate a dynamic, professional face of Operations.
- Have a drive to learn new skills and adapt to change.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced Operations Manager who has a proven track record with change management, to develop a long-term career in an excellent business that can facilitate constant learning and progression opportunities.